GUNNISON, Colo. (KKOC/KJCT)-- The National Park Service has found toxic algae in a section of Blue Mesa Reservoir.
According to a news release Friday, dangerous concentrations of cyanotoxins were found in the Iola Basin section of Blue Mesa. Other areas of the reservoir may contain toxins as well.
The NPS says people should avoid shallow water in the affected basin, and watch out for algal mats throughout the reservoir.
Blue Mesa is still completely open to boating and fishing, but the parks service stresses the importance of cleaning fish in treated water, and cleaning all boats and fishing gear after recreating.
It’s recommended that dogs and other animals shouldn’t swim or drink any of the reservoir waters until further notice, according to the news release.
If you or your pet have nausea, vomiting, breathing problems or seizures after exposure to the water, contact a doctor or veterinarian immediately.
The water continues to be sampled and monitored, according to the NPS.