GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT)-- Two people have been found dead after a large fire at a construction site in downtown Denver on Wednesday.
Fire investigators say the blaze started on the third floor of an apartment building that was under construction, but there's no word yet on what started the fire.
The American Red Cross says it serves as another reminder of why it’s so important to check smoke alarms every month and replace batteries twice a year.
“Daylight savings time is always a great reminder to get your smoke alarms tested, to make sure that they work, and to make sure that your family has a plan,” said Executive Director for American Red Cross of Western Colorado Eric Myers. “Fires don’t ever happen to you until they happen to you, so people do get complacent, people think I’m not prone to this, I’m not going to have a fire, and fires can happen in any home in any structure and for a lot of different reasons."
Next month, they will be going to a few homes in Grand Junction and installing smoke alarms for free.