Neighbors warn resident that his house caught fire

By  | 

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT)-- A homeowner escaped with no injuries last night thanks to neighbors who warned him his house was on fire.

The Grand Junction Fire Department says the fire started around 10 p.m. on the night of July 16, near Grand Avenue and 23rd Street.

When crews got on scene, flames had already spread to the front porch and outside walls of the house.

We're told neighbors in the area ran to help, and at one point, tried to douse the flames with a garden hose before the fire department arrived.

One man says he lives one block away, and saw the flames over nearby rooftops.

"When we got here we just went straight to the house. The front was all engulfed, you know? People were saying, ‘You grab that hose,’ and then, “Is anyone in the house?’ So I had to go make sure and see if there was anyone in the house or not,” said neighbor, Timothy Salazar.

Grand Junction Fire says the blaze was likely caused by a discarded cigarette.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus