Advertisement

GJFD sees increase in Carbon Monoxide calls

(KKCO)
Published: Dec. 30, 2019 at 3:47 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

During winter months fire officials say they see an increase in calls dealing with Carbon Monoxide, Grand Junction Fire Department wants to share a few safety tips.

The department gets around one hundred phone calls a year about Carbon Monoxide alarms.

Because People can't see, taste or smell the deadly gas, officials want to make sure people have the alarm detectors.

If the alarm goes off, they suggest you call 911 immediately and make sure everyone including pets get out of the building.

"A common misconception about carbon monoxide is that it's only caused by old heating appliances, that's not true. Any gas appliance, water heater, propane space heaters, grills, your car running in your garage.Those are all sources of Carbon Monoxide.” says GJFD Ellis Thompson-Ellis.

Officials say carbon monoxide is also dangerous at low levels and can cause problems over a period of time.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu but without a fever.