Downtown Grand Junction Wells Fargo evacuated

By  | 

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT)-- It could have been a lot worse at the downtown Grand Junction Wells Fargo location, but luckily a potential disaster was averted.

Around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday morning, employees at the Wells Fargo in downtown Grand Junction called 911 and said they smelled burning plastic. Everyone was evacuated and all five fire trucks from the fire department responded.

Turns out, it was a burned up fan motor causing the smell. The building had just turned the heater on for the first time this season. The Grand Junction Fire Department said this was a perfect example of how to stay aware.

"Fire doesn’t discriminate, and one of the best things that community members can do is make sure that we, as a community, are prepared for fire. That means that your smoke detectors are working, that your family and place of business have practiced a fire drill because as you see here it can happen anywhere anytime," said Ellis Thompson-Ellis, GJFD.

By 9:30 a.m. everyone was let back into the building. Our crews on scene said there was still a smell of burning plastic when they went back in.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus