GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT) -- By this time last year, we were looking at some pretty serious firework restrictions here in the Grand Valley.
It was so dry Palisade, Grand Junction, Fruita and Mesa County all passed a ban on the sale of fireworks before we even hit June.
"It’s night and day, this year and last year, we’ve had a lot of moisture recently," Ellis Thompson-Ellis with the Grand Junction Fire Department said.
So far this year, nothing points towards a similar ban, but that doesn't mean you don't have to be careful as we head into traditional fireworks and barbecuing season.
"Even with all the moisture that’s rolled through, we still want people to not take fire safety for granted," Thompson-Ellis said.
It's not just the big fireworks you have to think about, those sparklers can cause problems too.
"A common sparkler burns between 1,000 and 1,600 degrees and that’s something that we hand to our children so we need to be teaching kids firework safety too," Thompson-Ellis said.
At the end of the day, it's up to all of us to make sure our fire season continues to be as mellow as it is now.
"I’ve got to say, we as the fire department are really proud of our community because they acted responsibly with fireworks and barbecue grills and all the seasonal traditions and they prevented so many fires last year," Thompson-Ellis said.