What a Delta woman says she found inside the fast-food she ordered Saturday has her worried about the cleanliness of the restaurant it came from. It apparently happened at a local Wendy's restaurant where after Angelica Flores Jensen left, she says she found something crawling around in her fries.
It started out as a quick trip for a late-night snack, but it's one Jensen says she'll never forget. "I started eating my fries one by one," she recounted. "[I] glanced down and I thought I saw something move."
It was at that point she says she had spotted something in her food; something she never expected to see.
"It was a little maggot in my fries," she described. "I don't even know if we ate any on our way home. It was just really disgusting."
Jensen claims the small maggot came from the Wendy's store. She says her bag was sealed tight all the way home and when she grabbed for a fry, that is when it started moving.
"All I've heard in return is how sorry they are," she said. "But I want to see something being done. It's really unsanitary and who knows what's going on in [the store]."
We had a chance to talk to the restaurant's general manager. He deflected the responsibility. "One thing that I kind of am obsessed with is cleanliness," he said. "We don't think it came from us."
Despite the assurances his store is not to blame, the manager says his staff is triple-checking everything just in case.
"We called the health department, we called Orkin," he listed. "They were here and checked us out."
While the manager continues to investigate where the maggot might have come from, he has offered to refund Jensen's meal. But, she is not sure she wants to go back to the restaurant at all.
"I don't think I'll ever be going to Wendy's or any other fast-food restaurant again," Jensen said.
Jensen does plan to stop by to get her money back sometime this week. She says she has no plans to sue Wendy's and just wants the restaurant to be checked.
Officials at the Delta County Health Department say the 3-4mm long maggot in this case is the larval stage of a Confused Flour Beetle. This type of insect is traditionally found in cereals and flour and is commonly uncovered in restaurants and homes.
Officials say they are not sure if they will ever know where it came from, but they are asking the restaurant to inspect its goods as a precaution.