Local man infected with flesh-eating bug
Has been transferred to a Denver hospital
A Western Slope man has been transferred to Colorado University Hospital for treatment of a flesh-eating bug.
According to our sister station, KMGH, the man suffered a dirt bike accident about a month ago.
During the accident, wood debris became embedded in his left arm, and not all of it was removed.
When the infection began to eat away at body tissue, doctors in Delta were unable to keep up with its spread despite cutting away at muscle and flesh.
At this point, one of the man's arms has had to be amputated.
We are working at getting in touch with family members and hope to have more information for you coming up on our evening newscasts at 5, 6, and 10pm.
Copyright 2012 KJCT. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The following are comments from our users. Opinions expressed are neither created nor endorsed by KJCT-TV or KJCT8.com. Comments are moderated by the community. To report an offensive or otherwise inappropriate comment, click the "Flag" link that appears beneath that comment. Comments that are flagged will alert our editorial staff.