Firefighters respond to chimney blaze
Fire spread to basement of Grand Junction home
The G.J.F.D. was called to a Grand Junction home early Monday morning to a reported chimney fire.
The fire occurred at 604 N. 7th Street. Firefighters arrived to the scene around 2:00 a.m.
According to Battalion Chief Doug Walsh, the fire started in the chimney and the homeowner believed he had extinguished the flames by the time crews arrived.
However, when firefighters investigated further, they discovered a fire in the basement of the home.
Walsh reports that the fire in the basement was put out quickly and damage to the home was limited to an estimated $35,000. Crews estimate an additional $25,000 loss from products in the home suffering smoke damage.
Nobody was injured in the fire but the resident were displaced overnight.
Officials determined the blaze started in the fireplace and chimney on the main floor of the home. The flames breached the lower level of the home through an unused fireplace which was covered by an earlier remodel of the basement.
Copyright 2012 KJCT. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The following are comments from our users. Opinions expressed are neither created nor endorsed by KJCT, its web master or its television station management. These comments are moderated by the community. To report an offensive or otherwise inappropriate comment, click the "Flag" link that appears beneath that comment. Comments that are flagged will alert our editorial staff.