Fire damages Grand Junction home
Grand Junction Fire Department responded just before 4 AM
An attic fire damaged a Grand Junction home early Thursday morning.
The Grand Junction Fire Department was called to 116 Glade Park Road just before 4:00 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, the residents of the home had already evacuated and smoke was seen billowing from the attic.
According to the fire department, crews had to remove the ceiling of a bedroom and work through the exterior attic vents to put out the fire.
Battalion Chief Doug Walsh reported that crews were able to contain the fire pretty quickly but damage is estimated at approximately $20,000.
Walsh said the occupants of the home were lucky because the smoke detector didn't alert them to the fire in the attic. He said one resident woke up to smoke in the room and alerted the others.
They were all able to evacuate the home safely.
But officials with the fire department said things could have gone much worse.
The G.J.F.D. wants to remind everyone how important it is to have a working smoke detector at home. Firefighters say it's your best chance of surviving a house fire.
Copyright 2012 KJCT. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The following are comments from our users. Opinions expressed are neither created nor endorsed by KJCT, its web master or its television station management. These comments are moderated by the community. To report an offensive or otherwise inappropriate comment, click the "Flag" link that appears beneath that comment. Comments that are flagged will alert our editorial staff.