An attic fire damaged a Grand Junction home early Thursday morning.
The Grand Junction Fire Department was called to 116 Glade Park Road just before 4:00 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, the residents of the home had already evacuated and smoke was seen billowing from the attic.
According to the fire department, crews had to remove the ceiling of a bedroom and work through the exterior attic vents to put out the fire.
Battalion Chief Doug Walsh reported that crews were able to contain the fire pretty quickly but damage is estimated at approximately $20,000.
Walsh said the occupants of the home were lucky because the smoke detector didn't alert them to the fire in the attic. He said one resident woke up to smoke in the room and alerted the others.
They were all able to evacuate the home safely.
But officials with the fire department said things could have gone much worse.
The G.J.F.D. wants to remind everyone how important it is to have a working smoke detector at home. Firefighters say it's your best chance of surviving a house fire.