A fire broke out early this morning that displaced people staying at the Country Inn in Grand Junction.
Management at the Country Inn declined to go on camera, but they did say that four occupied rooms were relocated due to the early morning electrical fire. Luckily there were no injuries.
Fire officials say that battling large structure fires like those in apartments and hotels pose additional obstacles and they have make sure that everyone in the building is accounted for and safe. Firefighters also want to remind people of the increased fire dangers in their homes this time of year.
“(With) the winter months coming on, people are going to be turning their heaters on and things like that. The space heaters tend to be a problem for us as well. People laying things on the space heaters; so just making sure things are clear around the space heaters. Also, chimneys, they get the soot inside of them and they need to be cleaned on an annual basis. Sometimes depending on how much you use it, twice a year because we can get some pretty bad chimney fires that get into the attics” explained Grand Junction firefighter Michael Whittle.
Officials also said that having too many things plugged into one outlet can cause an electrical short and that could lead to a fire in your home as well. Whittle said they experience an increase in house fires this time of year because of the use of space heaters and chimneys, and they want people to be safe while using them during the upcoming winter months.