GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment says a Garfield County resident has the first confirmed case of hantavirus in the state this year.
The health department said Tuesday there were two confirmed cases last year. The most cases reported in a year was eight in 2005.
Department spokesman Mark Salley said there is no information on the sex or age of the patient.
Hantavirus is present in the saliva, urine, and feces of infected mice. People are infected by breathing in the virus during direct contact with rodents or from disturbing dust and feces from mice nests or surfaces contaminated with mice droppings or urine.
Symptoms include muscle aches, fatigue, high fever, dizziness, headaches, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain which can eventually lead to death.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.