General Purpose of Position:
Support station personnel’s ability to operate all broadcast streams and content distribution platforms and maintain that the systems are in full working order ensuring no content interruption to the end viewer. This includes all studio equipment, remote transmitter sites, and signal distribution infrastructure in-between.
Position requires a full knowledge of station operations and technical layout, with a strong emphasis on news. Must possess good interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written, and be fully computer literate. Comprehensive knowledge of RF signals, transmission mechanics, mechanical engineering, and studio technical equipment operation. Technical skill enabling diagnosis to the module level required with the ability to diagnose to the electrical component level a plus. Requires competent knowledge of broadcast signal flow with the ability to quickly identify key points of failure and bypass faults with minimal system down time.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the technical quality of our product.
- Be available to support all station and broadcast related technical issues, including IT, as scheduled by the Director of Operations.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of all company facilities associated with our station. This includes HVAC, generators, security systems, satellite dishes, motor vehicles, irrigation, electrical, hardware, furniture, etc.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of the towers, antennas, and transmission lines/connections.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of all the transmitters, translators, and associated transmission systems and relay points.
- Maintain knowledge of the latest technology, and ways of implementing the technology within the facility.
- Assist the tech team in installation of new and modified broadcast systems.
- Maintain consistent transmitter readings and logs.
- Process satellite waiver requests.
- Answer viewer questions and give guidance on how best to receive our OTA channels.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: (Education, Skills, Technical Ability, and Experience necessary)
- Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Broadcast Engineering, or other related degree.
- Possess 3-5 year experience as a broadcast transmission engineer or broadcast maintenance engineer in a professional broadcast facility. Ideally a local network affiliate with a live local news outlet.
- Professional experience with RF transmission systems
- Professional experience with microwave link radio systems.
- Professional experience with IT networks and system administration
- Professional experience supporting users with IT and broadcast equipment operation
- Mechanical aptitude to maintain engines, electrical systems, and transmission systems.
- Experience, ability, and willingness to operate off-road vehicles and drive on remote and difficult terrain.
- Ability to operate 4-wheeled drive (or other) vehicles to access transmitter sites in a multitude of weather conditions.
- Have a clean driving record.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment and random periodic drug screens.
Ability to lift and move heavy objects up to 100 lbs. Good or corrected vision and hearing. Work in extreme weather conditions. Capable and willing to work outdoors as well as odd hours, nights, weekends etc. Ability to work for extended periods at high altitude (over 10,000 ft. elevation).
Job descriptions are subject to change at the discretion of management.